Monday, May 17, 2010

What Is Day Dating?

How many people do you know and maybe even yourself, who get married, have 2.5 children and then the marriage goes by the wayside?

Sometimes in the process of life, we tend to get so involved in the day to day survival, that we forget who we are. More importantly, we sometimes forget about doing special little things for and with the person we committed ourselves to. Unknowingly, we take our significant other for granted.

Once that disconnect in a relationship forms, it's never too late to rekindle what was once so beautiful. That is....if you want to. Take me for an example. When my family and I moved to Texas from New York City 5 years ago, I believe that was exactly the time my husband and I stopped connecting. We drifted apart like two polarizing entities. He worked late evenings and weekends and I worked days. We were coasting along, silently going through the vicious cycle of life. The typical day for me was: Make breakfast for the kids, get the kids off to school, rush to work, rush back home, pick the kids up, make kids a snack, rush the kids to activities, rush homework, rush dinner, baths, yelling, clean up mega mess and then pass out from exhaustion. And don't even think about sex. Who had time for that crap! This vicious cycle of life went on for 5 long years. The next thing I knew, it was as though I was living with a room mate who I only saw occasionally. Hmmmm...perhaps that's why we're still married...LOL

Throughout life's trials and tribulations, I truly believe everything in life happens for a reason. I got real tired of not having a life of my own, so I woke up one day and I told my boss that he could take this job and $%^&*. Okay, okay, okay, I didn't actually leave my job on those melodramatic terms, but Honey, you better believe I sure thought about saying it; with the Black Girl head & neck roll, hand on one hip, finger pointing & all...LOL.


Now that I had part of my life back, I was forced to look at my husband during the day while he soundly slept like a baby through all the morning chaos. Annoyed, I rolled my eyes, got into my Black Girl stance again, poked him in the back with my sharp, Lee press on nails and said, "Hey, Take me out to eat!" Equally annoyed, he looked at me with crust still in his eyes and said, "Alright, just give me 5 more minutes!" Hence, the birth of Day Dating.

We commit to dining two times a week for lunch at different restaurants in Spring, The Woodlands and Houston. We get dressed up as though we are going out for dinner and we enjoy meals at half the price. I must say, Day Dating has totally transformed our marriage. While the kids are at school, we spend much needed quality time together. In kidless peace and tranquility, we both enjoy yummy food and fine wine. As a result, Day Dating has given us a 2nd chance at this marriage thing. I look forward to playing dress up for lunch and he looks forward to seeing me happy and giddy like when we were dating, BEFORE attention hungry, life draining, always hungry, always wanting something, loud, snotty nose, messy, crying, fighting, dirty, sticky fingers, always touching something, germ infested kids came along.

Day Dating. I highly recommend it.

No comments: